Thursday, August 16, 2007

Maybe we're just weird.

So as I was doing a happy little dance over my freshly opened carton of cottage cheese, it occurred to me that America is a very icky place to live.

Taking a bite of a large chunk of fermented milk (and loving it), I pondered.

We inject ourselves with botulism, eat bacteria harvested for the purpose of consumption, give birth in unnatural and stressful circumstances, cut the foreskin away from our sons when an education in simple hygiene would suffice, rip hair from our bodies, eat animals that lived in conditions that don't make them fit for eating... I could go on forever, I really could.

However.

We create shots that make our wombs safe from cancer. Cancer vaccines.

Our newspapers come from renewable farms, a constantly reusable source that has left our country with more trees now than when we got to it in the first place- albeit misplaced, you take your victories where you can.

Millions of dollars a year help the starving, the impoverished, $19.99 a month (less than the cost of a cup of coffee a day) to help the orphans in Darfur because God knows a nun without arms can't hold a spoon properly.

We don't do not nearly enough as a society, and we are hella icky, but I look over what a kooky, zany people we are and I have to lawl at least a little.

No comments: